Julie Benavides Student Success Scholarship
• Open to all ELAC Students
• $250 per student
• Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units
• Students must meet 2.5 GPA minimum
Julie began teaching at East Los Angeles College (ELAC) in the Child, Family & Education Studies department in 1996. As faculty, she developed countless programs on campus to support first-generation college students, students from low-income backgrounds, and individuals from other marginalized groups, including undocumented students, foster youth, and homeless populations. At ELAC, she became a Department Chair for 6 years, and served as the Dean of Student Services. In November 2015, Julie became the first female Vice President and the Chief Student Services Officer for the college. Along with serving in a leadership capacity, Julie still teaches child development courses to help shape the next generation of educators.
As an educator, she has mentored thousands of students. Students know her as someone who is resourceful, encouraging, and a dynamo in class. Julie empowers students through knowledge interchange and building upon their strengths. Julie organized cohorts to assist students with transferring from the two-year college to obtain not only their bachelor’s degree but developed a pathway for students to obtain their master’s. She continually goes beyond her official capacities to ensure that students are cared for. Julie has dedicated her career to the advancement of some of the most vulnerable students. She is known for taking food and clothing to students facing food insecurity. As a first-generation student, Julie understood the road to education requires collaborative efforts and building momentum for students to activate their college cultural capital. She believes that if students are supported with proper systems and practices that support their navigational, social, and familial capital they will be better equipped to fulfill their aspirations.
As an administrator, she is a visionary leader who has significantly contributed to the betterment of the college and community. Julie leads by example with a visible track record for success, student equity, and the common good. She initiated the dual enrollment program and early college academies with three local school districts and charter schools. She implemented the Greater Outcomes (GO) East LA to promote a college going culture in the community and to tackle graduation barriers. She created the ELAC Live! Program.
Julie has been a catalyst for change. She has led the charge with support from her team to redesign and strengthen student services by setting the vision for a holistic student support framework using the student journey and college completion agenda.
The ambitious framework envisioned includes:
• initiating the Culturally Responsive Training and Safe Zone program
• building the capacity of the counseling department by doubling the size of the counseling staff
• expanding the Transfer and Veterans’ Centers
• supporting the peer mentoring and peer navigation programming
• initiating the creation of support centers for undocumented students (Dream Resource Center), formerly incarcerated students (Educational Justice/Rising Scholars), student athletes (Husky Athlete Support Center), LGBTQ+ students, and Black/African American students
• ensuring students are greeted and onboarded with the Welcome Center
• supporting financial literacy
• increasing mental health and wellness with additional therapists and social workers in its Health Services Center
Julie’s vision includes the advancement of the whole family. She created the Family And Community Engagement Services (FACES) so that families can understand and support the college journey of their student as well as to be included in the college for all programming.
Julie Benavides is a trailblazer as an educator, leader, and advocate. She’s earned the admiration of faculty, staff, students, and colleagues by paving the way for others. Her energy and enthusiasm are contagious, and her passion for creating educational change serves as an inspiration within the college and community.
MAIL IN A DONATION
• Please make checks payable to East Los Angeles College Foundation.
• Please make sure you write in the memo line "For Julie Benavides Student Success Scholarship".
• Mail the check to:
East Los Angeles College Foundation
1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez
Monterey Park, CA 91754