The Jose Blas Sanchez Gonzalez Scholarship Memorial Fund
Jose Blas Sanchez Gonzalez will be remembered as a loving and devoted husband, brother, father, grandfather and friend. He showed kindness and patience toward all who knew Him and provided assistance and guidance to other migrants from His home state of Jalisco. He was a respected small business owner and trusted mechanic for two Unocal 76 gas stations, first in Boyle Heights (Soto Street) and later in Monterey Park (Atlantic Boulevard).
Over the years, He took great pride teaching and mentoring new mechanics from His community and instilling in them the importance of hard work, integrity or as He would say ‘ganas!’
He also provided students from the nearby continuation schools and community college opportunities to gain work experience at His gas stations to earn credit toward graduation or automotive degrees.The Jose Blas Sanchez Gonzalez Scholarship Memorial Fund will pay tribute to His legacy to provide new students the same opportunities He provided others during His life.
He supported His children enabling them to earn college and advanced degrees and launch successful careers in law, education and civil rights. One of His greatest joys in life was attending His grandchildren's activities and telling them stories.
He is survived by his wife of 53 years Maria Elena Llamas Sanchez, His children Jose F. Sanchez, Maricela Sanchez-Robles, Luis A. Sanchez and their spouses, seven grandchildren, six siblings and many loving family and friends.
Who should apply?
To be considered for a scholarship, you must be:
• A current ELAC student and Must have completed at least 12 units or more at East Los Angeles College with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better
• Currently enrolled in the Automotive Technology pathway
• Attended previously an LAUSD high school
• Must demonstrate need for financial assistance;
• Live and Raised in the Eastside communities of Los Angeles: Lincoln Heights, Unincorporated East Los Angeles, Boyle Heights, City Terrace, and El Sereno
• Minimum of 2.0 GPA or better;
• Completed application, together with all required documents, must be postmarked no later than the published deadline.
Complete Online Application (Click here)
• Attach a recent copy of transcripts (unofficial accepted) for all your college work, including Spring 2021 courses;
• Complete the supplemental question (details noted below)
Supplemental Question (500 words total).
Answer any or all of the following:
• Why are you interested in the Automotive field?
• How has your upbringing, school experience and/or work experience guided you in this decision?
• What significant challenge or setback have you faced and how has it impacted you?