Helen Miller Bailey Scholarship
Dr. Bailey served as chair of the Social Science Department from 1946 to 1973. She was an expert in Latin American History and often traveled to Mexico. She contributed immensely to the Sociology and Political Science disciplines. She published many books, and her photograph and art collections were research sources in several fields. The college library was named after her in recognition of her life's work. Dr. Bailey was tireless in promoting the interests of Latinx students and the community at large. Her efforts to get the state to improve the quality of education for Chicanx students date back to the early 1950s. She was a member of numerous social service organizations in the community and she raised thousands of dollars in scholarships, enabling needy students to pursue a college education. Through her instruction and mentoring, she inspired a generation of leaders coming out of the East Los Angeles area, including former US Ambassador Julian Nava and attorney Antonia Hernandez. This scholarship was created to further her guidance of Latinx students, but students of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The selection criteria are based on the 'model' set by Dr. Helen Miller Bailey.
- Current ELAC student who will continue at ELAC or transfer to a 4-year university in 2021-2022.
- Major in one of the following subjects: African American Studies, Asian American Studies, Economics, History, Political Science, Sociology, or pursuing a degree in one of the following interdisciplinary programs: Environmental Studies: Humanities-Social Science, or Women/Gender Studies.
- Complete at least 12 units or more at ELAC with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- A complete application, including an essay, recent transcript, and one letter of recommendation (preferably from ELAC Social Sciences Department)
ACCESS APPLICATION TODAY!
- Click to Download the Application
- Type into form, and print Review "Award Requirements," and scan all supporting items.
- Submit the complete electronic packet to Dr. Leonard Melchor email@example.com by Friday, APRIL 30, 2021
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION PACKET IS FRIDAY, APRIL 30, 2021
MAIL IN A DONATION
• Please make checks payable to East Los Angeles College Foundation.
• Please make sure you write in the memo line "For Helen Miller Bailey Scholarship".
• Mail the check to:
East Los Angeles College Foundation
1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez
Monterey Park, CA 91754